Value that is found in friendships is often the result of a friend demonstrating the following on a consistent basis:
- The tendency to desire what is best for the other
- Sympathy and empathy
- Honesty, perhaps in situations where it may be difficult for others to speak the truth, especially in terms of pointing out the perceived faults of one's counterpart
- Mutual understanding and compassion
- Trust in one another (able to express feelings - including in relation to the other's actions - without the fear of being judged); able to go to each other for emotional support
- Positive reciprocity - a relationship is based on equal give and take between the two parties.
I cannot begin to express how blessed I feel with the friendships in my life. From my childhood friends, scrapbooking friends, running friends and my friends I've met through work they are all such an important part of my life and make me who I am.
This weekend I got to spend one of the days with my scrapping friends. Being creative and productive while having fun with girlfriends, what more could you ask for. But it didn't stop there, then on Monday and Tuesday I got to spend some time with my "Treasured Friends". Debbie and Brenda came in from Michigan and we celebrated our girlfriend Christmas and birthdays, including dinner, drinks, gifts and a sleep over and then some shopping the next day! Which included some hysterical and serious conversations that can only be shared with girlfriends!